They say that in your 20’s one should travel as much as you can and live in various cities and find independence. Well, if you look back at a previous post i did, titled 11 Months In A New City, you will see that i took it upon myself to live in another city. I really wanted to move out of Johannesburg for various reason, most of all, just to get away and start a new journey and a new life. With much deliberation, i resigned from my job at a popular PR agency in Johannesburg, packed up my stuff and moved to Pretoria. Pretoria of all places? Dude, why? This was the first reaction from the friends i told. I would’ve done Cape Town but that will come in due time and the reason why i chose Pretoria “The City Where Dreams Go To Die” is because i can still visit family in Joburg etc.
It has been 1 year and 2 months and i have a few likes and dislikes about this Jacaranda city.
- I love being on my own, in my own space.
- I loved being in a new City. A clean one.
- I loved that Virgin Active is 1 km from my Apartment
- I have a mega Spar, Wimpy, Spur, KFC, Shoprite, BP, Nandos, a DR and a Pharmacy 500m from me. All walking distance even though i don’t walk.
- Close to work
- I am telling you, this city has a fresh smell of racism and the smell is so strong you can taste it.
- I don’t like that the white car guards at the various shopping centers won’t accept money from me. Why? I ask myself.
- I don’t like that people are not friendly.
- I don’t like that it is so far…..from everything.
- I don’t like that i am missing Johannesburg so much that i am always in Johannesburg more than i am in Pretoria.
- I don’t like the look you get from people when you speak English.
- Ugh, there’s no one with my vibe around here. People are so different. Like a dry different. A judgmental different 🙁
- I don’t like that there is no actual social life here. E.g A Neighbour Goods or hang out spots
So as you can see, there‘s more dislikes than likes. I am not heavily phased by it all because i set myself up for it and i can always make a change if i wanted to. But i won’t do that just yet. I at least want to make the 1.5 year mark. I am not one to half commit, you know.
In the meantime i have been looking at other options. Johannesburg, Cape Town, London, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, Johannesburg. Oh i mentioned that more than once, so you see where my head is at.