I had a chat with home girl, Tarryn Alberts who is from the popular controversial dance crew V.I.N.T.A.G.E and Zef group Die Antwoord. This dope chick is only 23 years old and she is doing great things building her brand and breaking boundaries. Here is what she had to say.
1. You grew up in Eldorado Park. Do you feel like you are a role model to young girls back in the neighbourhood you are from and how do you give back?
Well I’d like to think I am, I mean I try my best to keep chasing my dreams, honestly I would like to start teaching but when the time is right… I mentor three girls now but I try my best to do what I can.
2. How long does it take for you to perfect a dance routine?
Wow I don’t actually know. It depends on how much time I put into a routine. Practice makes perfect I guess.
3. You one of the dancers for the famous Zef group- Die Antwoord. How did that come about and how has it been?
They needed dancers for their music video Fatty Boom Boom, and they knew my friend Manthe so they called her and we went with her and they asked us to dance and they were impressed, I think it’s been an amazing journey especially when you constantly learning and doing what you love.
4. I have noticed that you do not conform and you that you keep your identity unchanged and grounded to your roots. Do you feel that this helped your brand and how has reception been due to you keeping it real?
Thank you, I think I’m just being me. Some people don’t like it, controversy is not entertaining for most. I always say a lot of people are thinking but no one says anything and those who like what we represent, receive us well.
5. I remember watching one of your YouTube videos with V.I.N.T.A.G.E and thinking sheesh, this girl is intense! How does it feel being a prominent member of Mzanzi’s best dance crews?
Yoh! Thank you lol 🙂 I work hard I won’t even lie but I don’t mind, I always try to evoke something within people when they see me dance and you remember that’s so dope.
Follow Tarryn and she what she gets up to: @Tarryn_TNT