I am about to get myself new prescription glasses. Yes, folks some of us aren’t that lucky to have great vision. Mine is not that bad but i still prefer having glasses for those moments when i just need to see things perfectly but still look cool. So before i decide on what frame i should get, i thought that it would be great for me to offer advice on choosing the perfect glasses.
To start off you need to have the right glasses for your face.
- Round/Oval Faces: Look for square, rectangular or angular shapes.
- Square Faces: Go for rounder or half-rimmed frames that will soften your strong lines.
- Oblong Faces: You want larger frames that will dress the verticality of your face.
Knowing your face shape is a good start, but at the opticians the choice will not be this straightforward.
Here’s a ten-step guide to help you out.
- Smile. If your cheeks lift the glasses, kiss that style goodbye.
- Check the width. With the specs on, place your pointing fingers next to each eye, right by the inside corners of the frame. It should fit just right, with none or very little space left. If that’s not the case, the frame is too wide or too narrow for you. Next!
- Glasses need tweaking. Make sure the bridge (the between-lenses part), shaft and rims are adjusted to your face and feel absolutely comfortable. Don’t settle for anything short of perfection.
- Take a selfie. Show a picture of you wearing your potential new frames to someone you trust and ask their opinion. Upload to Instagram or Facebook and let the audience decide.
- Who are your four-eyed style icons? You can channel Franck Ocean, Clark Kent, David Gandy, Maps Maponyane etc – the list is endless. After all, styles are made iconic by people.
- Don’t get blinded by over-designed frames. Multi-coloured, sculpted and pseudo-futuristic styles are for a specific few. Stick with designs that truly represent your personality and you know you can pull off. Don’t do TOO much, if you know what i mean.
- Watch out for the ‘everyone else is wearing it’ trap. These frames have the chance to become a signature of your personal style, so don’t fall for clichés.
- Don’t be colour blind. You found your glasses. Now look into all colours and finishes the style is available in. Tortoiseshell or black? Matte or polished? Brown or silver? These variants will strongly influence the final result, so don’t neglect them.
- Avoid in-your-face branding. After good research and working hard on individuality, you don’t want to easily give away the brand of your specs. Make people come to you asking who they are made by.
Final Tip: Your glasses should match YOU – not your attire, your car or the team you support. Think of them as an independent accessory.
These are some of my top choices:
Chris Brown is coming back to SA in 2015 and you won’t believe the ticket prices! Cry with the rest of Africa with these ticket prices being so expensive. Kanye West tickets weren’t even that steep.
Date: Thursday, 2 April 2015
Venue: Coca Cola Dome
Golden Circle: R1500 ($130)
General access unreserved standing R1250
General Access reserved seating R1250
Mezzanine Level: R750
Date: Saturday, 4 April 2015
Venue: Moses Mabhida Stadium People’s Park
Golden Circle: R1100
General Access: R690
I probably will go just for the vibe. His concert was great the last time i saw him. Will you?
I came across this awesome site the other day, www.invaluable.com. Its a premier online auction space that stocks the coolest jewelry, art and collectibles. I scouted a few items from the site that i like and here is how i would pair them.
A casual winter look like the one below would go perfect with the Natural 0.50 ctw Diamond Anniversary Men’s Ring which has 10K White Gold.
This look below is my favourite casual look and i would sport the 18k Yellow Gold Mens Ring with 1.00ct Diamonds and 0.05ct Ruby as eyes of the snake head. So cool!
Check out more Men’s Rings and Watches at Invaluable.
New Nike AirMax 2015
If you are a sneaker fan like myself, then you would be pleased to know that the New Nike AirMax 2015 has just been dropped!
The Air Max 2015 combines the best of Nike’s most recent technologies and innovations using an Engineered Mesh upper incorporated with the brand’s Dynamic Flywire technology for lightweight performance and unparalleled lockdown support. The new colours are pretty cool.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG “Black/Gum”
I can’t wait for these.
This pair comes in a black and gum colorway, perfect for me as i like black. Featuring two different types of leather on the all black upper- synthetic and cracked. Additional contrasting accents are provided with light brown hits. One word… dope!